Port draw double blank , home and away

Newport have now gone eight home league matches without a win as they were held to a draw by Fawley. It was a match that Newport dominated but their inability to score proved costly

With several players unavailable, it was a much changed Newport side that started.

Fawley kicked off attacking the Shide end. Newport had the better of the opening passage of play with Fawley penned in their own half for long spells. Although scoring opportunities were scarce both Ryan Hill and Aidan Sainsbury saw their goalbound shots strike defenders.

Gary Streeter was called into action on 36 minutes, tipping a 20 yard shot from Lewis Ross over the crossbar. This was to be Fawley’s best chance of a half that Newport had dominated but despite all the pressure Fawley keeper Lee Burch had yet to be tested.

Half Time: Newport 0 Fawley 0

Newport started the second half as they finished the first half by keeping Fawley in their own half. They consistently played the ball into the penalty area only to see a move come to nothing.

In a rare Fawley attack, Newport survived a melee in the goal area, but that was the closest that Fawley came to threatening in the second half.

Fawley made the first substitution after 65 minutes when Harrison Fay was replaced by Steven Green. Ten minutes later they made their second change with Conor Whitely replacing Den Semmens.

Newport made two substitutions in quick succession. Jimmi Burton was first to be replaced by Mark Taylor then Liam Bennett came on for Liam Triggs. Both teams made their final substitutions with less than five minutes remaining, Newport bringing on Oliver West for Harry Wade and Fawley introduced Mitch Hunt in place of Matt Spencer.

The draw means that Newport remain eleventh but Fawley drop one place to seventeenth


Gary Streeter , Liam Newbold , Will Quigley , Spike Pearce, Ryan Hills , Scott Sampson, Aidan Sainsbury , Liam Triggs (Liam Bennett) , Harry Wade (Oliver West) , Jimmi Burton (Mark Taylor), Joe Butcher.


Lee Burch, Peter Keating, Matt Hawkins, Dan Semmens (Conor Whitely), Aaron Lucas, Dane Sayce, Matt Spencer (Mitch Hunt), Dylan Gain, Zac Willis, Lewis Ross, Harrison Fay (Steven Green)

Referee: Conor Malone

Attendance: 98

The Reserves were also playing Fawley in the John Stimpson Memorial Shield and that too finished goalless. The only goal of the afternoon came from the A team but they lost 2-1 at home to Osborne Coburg.