Port squander 3 goal lead

Newport are still without a home win this season as they squandered a three goal lead to draw against Horndean. It was a grey overcast afternoon that greeted their opponents to St George Park this afternoon.

Horndean kicked off attacking the Shide end and Benny Read had their first shot after only 38 seconds but it went into the side netting. However it was Newport that got off to a dream start in less than ninety seconds. The ball was worked down the left by Joe Butcher and when Horndean failed to clear the cross the ball broke to Darren Powell who drove it into the net from about fifteen yards.

Horndean began to have plenty of midfield domination but were unable to penetrate the Newport defence. Newport did threaten the Horndean goal with a shot from Connor Kelly passing agonisingly wide of the far post.

Newport extended their lead on 37 minutes when a corner from Joe Butcher eluded everybody and curled in at the far post . Shortly afterwards Joe Butcher again broke down the left and his cross found Tom McInnes but before he was able to fire in a shot he was closed down.

Half Time: Newport 2 Horndean 0

Newport started the second half looking the livelier side and a Tom McInnes chip in the opening minute left Tom Price stranded but passed just wide of the post. With Horndean reduced to long range shots, they made their first substitution after 53 minutes when Connor Duffin replaced Lewis Brailey. Newport’s response was to replace Keelan Walsh with Keelan Sainsbury. Newport were now dominating the midfield so Horndean made a second substition before the hour mark when Sam Smart replaced Benny Read.

Newport were troubling Horndean down the flanks and when Tom Price failed to hold a low cross, Tom McInnes was able to tap the ball into the goal from close range.

Horndean were offered a way back into the match when Martin McDonough upended a forward in the penalty area and Jack Maloney gave Gary Streeter no chance blasting the penalty to his right. This proved to be the defining point in the match as Newport reverted to using the long ball as opposed to playing the ball out of defence.

 Horndean scored a second on 79 minutes when Jack Warren fired in a cross and Mark Smith’s glancing header diverted the ball past Gary Streeter. Newport made a substitution before the restart when Tom McInnes gave way to Aidan Sainsbury. Newport were now defending deeper and four minutes later Horndean were level when Joe Richardson cut in on the right and drove the ball past Gary Streeter. Newport’s final substitution saw defender Oliver West come on for Liam Triggs as they surrendered the midfield to Horndean in the final minutes. At the end it was Newport who were hanging on.

The draw means that Horndean remain ninth and Newport twelfth.

Final Score Newport 3 Horndean 3

Newport: Streeter, Newbold, Walsh (K Sainsbury), Pearce, McDonough, Sampson, Powell, Triggs (West), McInnes (A Sainsbury), Kelly, Butcher.

Horndean: Price, Fancey, Wain, Brailey (Duffin), Taylor, Johnson, Read (Smart), Richardson, Smith, Maloney, Warren.

Attendance 124