Cowes get their Christmas wish

The Island’s two top teams will go head to head on Boxing Day for what will be a rival clash and a hard fought contest.

Newport will make the short journey to Westwood Park on Boxing day to face Cowes Sports FC in a Wessex Premier Division league game. It will be an early kick off at 11:30am.

The Port will go into the game with spirits running high having won their last two games against Sholing and Verwood Town whereas Cowes Sports look to be finding recent fixtures tough having only picked up 1 point from their last five games.

History proves that this will be a tough game for either side regardless of recent form but The Port will be looking to continue with their winning ways and walk away with a final 3 points from 2016.

Newport have made another new signing today (21st Dec) with Josh Malony returning to The Port from Horndean. Josh now joins Ryan Thomas who has also recently signed from Horndean.

In form striker and recent signing Jared Wetherick will be returning to his old club looking to add to his goal tally for The Port.

What better to come and watch some Christmas football on Boxing day morning at 11:30am and support The Port as they look to sink The Yachtsman’s boat.


Cowes Sports come away with their Christmas wish beating Newport 1:0 in a Boxing Day derby clash.

The Yachtsman took the lead early on in the first half as Cowes look the dominant team from the whistle.

The Port found it hard to get themselves into the game and keep hold of the ball creating little chances to pull a goal back before half time.

Joe Butchers had the best chance for Newport  in the first half but saw the ball fly over the bar.

Cowes went in at half time 1:0.

Early in the second half Newport made a change for injured Spike Pierce who picked up a knock on the ankle in the first half. Spike was change for new signing Josh Maloney from Horndean.

Josh made an impact straight away in the middle of the park with some quality football at his feet and driving runs deep into Cowes half however Newport were unable to see the back of the net.

History proved itself again as the game became very heated at times between both teams.

A furher substitute for Newport saw Tom McInnes come off for Jared Wetherick who got a unwelcoming reception as he stepped onto the pitch.

Newport looked the better team throughout the second half but were unable to produce the final quality to pull their arch rivals level and bring The Port back into the game.

Aiden Sainsbury then saw a red card bringing Newport down to 10 men in the last 5 mins of the game whilst Martin McDonough came off with an injury giving way to young Lewis Wright to make his debut for Newport’s first team.

As the game drew to a close Newport could not hold onto the years of a victory for Cowes Sports.

The final whistle came with Cowes Sports beating Newport IW FC 1:0 and a long awaited victory since 1976.

Newport’s next game will be at St Georges Park on Tuesday 3rd January as they take on Bashley for a 7:30pm kick off.