Into the top 10 following 3rd successive home victory

A stoppage time penalty earned Newport their third consecutive home win against a resilient Bashley side who were making their first visit to St George’s Park since the Southern League in 2006.

The match was played with one floodlight pylon out opposite the grandstand. Bashley kicked off attacking the Shide end. Both teams started brightly with Bashley hitting the post from close range after six minutes.

Newport took the lead on 30 minutes when Joe Butcher run on to a long through ball and brought it down before blasting it past Joe Coombes from about 15 yards.

Both teams had put in a lot of effort in the first half but clear chances were at a premium. Josh Maloney and Joe Butcher had frequently troubled the Bashley defence along the flanks. Although Newport had the lead, Bashley were still in the match.

Half Time: Newport 1 Bashley 0.

In the opening minute Joe Butcher had a shot that struck the crossbar then fell to Liam Newbold but his low shot was straight at Joe Coombes.

On 52 minutes, Bashley equalised when a diagonal ball was played into the penalty area and Harry McGarth reacted quickest to slot the ball into the corner of the net.

Newport continued to attack and Joe Coombes was quickly off his ilne to smother the ball at the feet of Ryan Thomas. Then Joe Butcher had a shot that beat Joe Coombes but was scrambled off the line by Chris Lucas. Newport made a substitution bringing on Darren Powell for Ryan Thomas in midfield.

Newport retook the lead on 70 minutes, just as Bashley appeared to be looking the more likely to score. A surging run from the halfway line by Connor Kelly was only halted when he was upended just outside the penalty area. He took the free kick himself and placed it round the defensive wall and into the corner of the net.

Bashley were awarded a penalty on 75 minutes, following a charge by Spike Pearce, but Connor Hoare ballooned his spot kick onto the bar and the ball was scrambled away.

With ten minutes remaining Bashley made a double substitution introducing Rhys Owen and Harry Slade in place of Connor Hoare and Harry Morgan. For Newport Lewis Wright came on for Joe Butcher.

Bashley’s second goal came on 85 minutes when Gary Streeter did well to block a shot from the right but Harry McGarth was on hand to tap in the loose ball from close range.

As the match ebbed into injury time Jared Wetherick was brought down in the penalty area. Aidan Sainsbury’s initial spot kick was pushed onto the bar by Joe Coombes but he was able to push the rebound into the net to secure all three points.

A good entertaining match and the three points move Newport up one place to ninth in the table.

Newport will next face 10th place Alresford Town on Saturday 7th January at St George’s Park for a 3pm kick off.

Newport: Streeter, Newbold, K Sainsbury, Pearce (c), West, Thomas (Powell), Maloney, A Sainsbury, Wetherick,  Kelly, Butcher (Wright). Unused Subs; McInnes, , Walsh, Payne.

Bashley: Coombes, Dathan, Bada, Morris, Rolls, Lucas, Hoey, Hoare (Owen), McGrath, Morgan (Slade), Gould.

Referee – Andrew Dunn

Attendance – 62