Late Sampson equaliser scrambles a point

A late goal earned Newport their fourteenth draw of the season at St George’s Park this afternoon.

Newport made three changes from the side that started last Saturday. In came Darren Powell, Scott Sampson and Tom McInnes. Whilst Ollie West and Mark Taylor were on the subs bench and Jared Wetherick was still injured.

Newport kicked off attacking the Allotment end.

Brockenhurst should have taken the lead after six minutes when from a free kick the ball was headed down towards the far post but Gary Streeter was quickly down to turn it around the post. A minute later, Brockenhurst took the lead from a move on the left. Gary Streeter could only push a shot away but it fell to Mitchell Speechley-Price who had a simple close range tap in.

Newport applied considerable pressure on the Brockenhurst goal and on the half hour a terrific 25 yard shot from Liam Triggs was superbly pushed over the bar by Callum Maher. The equaliser came from Connor Kelly on 35 minutes. He picked the ball up on the edge of the penalty area, dribbled past a few defenders then fired in a low shot that squeezed in at the near post just beyond the reach of Callum Maher.

Again an excellent shot from Liam Triggs was well saved by Callum Maher and when he was beaten by a lob, Greg King was available to head off the line. The same defender received the match’s first yellow card for pulling back Tom McInnes.

Half Time: Newport 1 Brockenhurst 1

A foul by Will Tickle on Tom McInnes, for which he required treatment, earned the Brockenhurst defender a yellow card.

Brockenhurst had started the second half looking the better side and took the lead again on 63 minutes. The ball was played out of defence and Mitchell Speechley Price, who had been booked earlier, slipped the ball through to Mark Barker who raced towards goal before slotting the ball past Gary Streeter. Brockenhurst made a substitution before the restart bringing on Matthew Burt for Matthew Casey.

After Liam Newbold hab been booked, Newport made their first substitution replacing Darren Powell with Josh Maloney. Brockenhurst simultaneously brought off Will Tickle to be replaced by Noel McCarthy- Gardiner.

Brockenhurst continued to attack and Gary Streeter produced a fine save with his legs to deny Jude Nwachukule.

For the final ten minutes, Newport brought on Oliver West in place of Liam Newbold. Scott Sampson picked up a yellow card for a tackle on Mitchell Speechley-Price. It was only in the final ten minutes that Newport began to show any urgency

Deep into stoppage time, Brad Magookin was booked for a foul and from the resultant free kick, Newport equalised with only five seconds remaining. The ball was played high into the penalty area and from the melee the ball dropped to Scott Sampson who shot past Calum Maher from eight yards.

Despite the draw, Newport slipped to twelfth place with Brockenhurst one place beneath them.

Final Score: Newport 2 Brockenhurst 2

Newport: Streeter, Newbold (West), K Sainsbury, A Sainsbury, Pearce, Sampson, Powell (Maloney), Triggs, McInnes, Kelly, Butcher.

Brockenhurst: Maher, Dunne, Moore, King, Chamberlain, Magookin, Tickle (McCarthy-Gardiner), Casey (Burt), Nwachukule, M Speechley-Price, Barker

Referee: Derek Pratt                                                                                                 Attendance 98

Newport A thwarted Pan Sports promotion push with a 3-2 victory at Pan this afternoon. Tony Potts gave Newport the lead before Pan took a 2-1 lead. However Mark Burrows equalised and Jake Winchcombe scored the winner.