The Port face rivals Cowes Sports in the final

St George’s Park this afternoon hosted the second semi final of the Isle of Wight Senior Cup between Wessex League side Cowes and Island League side Binstead.

Cowes kicked off attacking the Allotment end and started well taking the lead after only 4 minutes. Finley Phillips chased a long ball and nodded it into the path of Jordan Browne who had time to compose himself before guiding the ball low into the net past the advancing Kieron Sanderson.

Cowes increased the lead after ten minutes when Dexter Malin worked the ball down the right before laying it off to John McKie to force it home at the near post.

An injury to Matt Foreman forced Binstead to make a substitution on 24 minutes. He was replaced by Danny Woreboyes, who was soon in action heading off the goalline with the keeper stranded.

Cowes dominance produced two goals in quick succession. Firstly a shot from John McKie struck the crossbar before striking the keeper and rebounding in the net. Then the Binstead defence was wrongfooted by Cowes giving Jordan Browne an open goal with which to tap the ball into.

Goals were coming regularly now. Binstead pulled a goal back with a spectatular 20 yard drive from Olly Crookes then almost from the restart, Nathan Lewis was allowed to run through the defence before placing the ball low into the net for Cowes’ fifth.

By the interval Cowes appeared to be in control of the match

Half Time: Cowes 5 Binstead 1

Cowes made a substitution on 52 minutes bringing on Leigh MacKenzie for Jimmy Wykes then shortly afterwards Gareth Bricknell was replaced by Ollie McArthur.

A long range shot from Nathan Lewis resulted in Cowes sixth goal on 55 minutes. Cowes completed their substitutions on 64 minutes when Jason Ince came on in place of John McKie.

Binstead used all their substitutes when Jhae Rhayment and Jack Love replaced Dan Mew and Olly Crookes.after 75 minutes.

Cowes seventh goal came on 88 minutes when Aidan Bryan ran through the defence before laying the ball off to Jordan Browne. His shot struck the post but he reacted first to the rebound and hit the ball home to complete his hat trick.

Cowes had dominated the match from the start and can expect a harder match when they meet Newport in Friday’s final at Westwood Park, kick off 7.30pm.

Final Score: Cowes 7 Binstead 1

Cowes: Hatt, Wykes (MacKenzie), Malcolmson, Insley, Bryan, Lewis, Phillips, Bricknell (MacArthur), Browne, Malin, McKie (Ince).

Binstead: Sanderson, Churches M Foreman (Woreboyes), Read, McInnes, Sunsburg, Drakeford, A Foreman, Mew (Rhayment) Crookes, Morley.

Referee: Tom Berry Attendance 202