Newport 0-4 Andover Town

Summer returned to Newport today to greet visitors Andover Town who have won all three of their league matches so far.
For Newport Gary Streeter returned in goal, with Martin McDonough going into defence and Jared Wetherick returning into the attack.

Newport kicked off attacking the Shide end. After dominating the early stages, Andover Town took the lead after only six minutes. The ball was worked down the left and Shane Lock shrugged off a Newport challenge before having time to place his shot wide of Gary Streeter.
They extended their lead five minutes later when Reece Rusher shot from an acute angle that went in off the far post.

The third goal came on 23 minutes when the Newport defence was split open by a through pass and Liam Gilbert had plenty of time to bypass Gary Streeter and roll the ball into the net.

By now Andover completely controlled the match and the fourth goal quickly followed. It was a 20 yard shot from Reece Rusher that found its way into the net through a crowded penalty area.
Shortly afterwards the goalscorer was replaced by Craig Blakeman

Newport’s best effort came on 35 minutes when a 35 yard curling shot from Aiden Sainsbury was pushed over the bar by Lloyd Thomas.

Newport had been totally outplayed in the first half and had seldom troubled the Andover Town defence. Each side picked up a booking apiece in the first half. Emerson Tattersall was booked for Newport and Liam Gilbert for Andover.

Half Time: Newport 0 Andover Town 4

Injury forced Gary Streeter off at half time, Martin McDonough taking over in goal and Alex Harmer joined the defence.

Andover waited ten minutes before making their second substitution when Rusher went off and George Farrelly was introduced.

Newport made their second substitution on 63 minutes when Kyle Drew came on for Charlie Urry. Two minutes later Newport were reduced to ten men when Emerson Tattersall was shown a second yellow card for a high tackle.

For the second time this season the match was held up for a fracas as Jared Wetherick threw an elbow at Craig Blakeman who retaliated by pushing him to the ground and both were shown red cards. There was further trouble in the tunnel which had to be sorted out before play could recommence.

Both teams made their final substitutions with 15 minutes remaining. Zach Glasspool came on for Andover replacing Liam Gilbert whilst Darren Powell came on for Newport replacing Aiden Sainsbury.

In the final minutes a 20 yard shot from Zach Glassspool struck the crossbar.

The last action saw Kyle Drew slip the ball through to Jake Ballentyne but he was quickly closed down by Lloyd Thomas. A disappointing match for Newport as they seldom troubled the Andover defence but had managed to play the second half without conceding a goal.

Full Time: Newport 0 Andover Town 4

Newport: Gary Streeter (Alex Harmer), Martin McDonough, Will Quigley, Aiden Sainsbury (Darren Powell), Spike Pearce, Scott Sampson, Mark Taylor, Jake Ballentyne,  Charlie Urry (Kyle Drew), Jared Wetherick, Emerson Tattersall.

Andover Town: Lloyd Thomas, Aaron Nesbeth, Joe Wright, Liam Hibberd, Luke Dempsey, Connor Cocklin, Reece Rusher (Craig Blakeman), McAuley Stubbs, Shane Lock, Liam Gilbert (Zach Glasspool), Mike Gosney.

Referee : Bruce Waymark

Attendance 105