Cowes 2-0 Newport

For the second time in three days, Newport finished a match with only nine men as they were soundly beaten 2-0 in today’s local derby at Cowes. With Gary Streeter still injured, Andy Payne played in goal while Josh Younie returned in place of Jared Wetherick.

Cowes kicked off attacking the Park Road end and dominated the early passage of play.

It took Newport seven minutes to mount an attack when Emerson Tattersall won the ball in midfield and jinxed through the defence before laying the ball off to Josh Younie but whilst his shot eluded Ed Hatt it was scrambled away.

Andy Payne was swiftly off his line to smother the ball and deny John McKie a scoring opportunity.

Newport had an appeal for handball in the penalty area turned down then in a counterattack a Cowes cross struck the post. Emerson Tattersall was shown a yellow card for a foul on Tom Dye.

Cowes came closest to scoring in the first half when Gareth Bricknell played the ball in from the right but from close range Jimmy Wykes ballooned the ball over the bar.

Half Time: Cowes Sports 0 Newport 0

Newport started the second half brightly and Mark Taylor headed over a cross from Emerson Tattersall who was then replaced by Jared Wetherick. Cowes replaced Tom Dye with Connor Furmidge. Newport continued to attack but Josh Younie shot straight at Ed Hatt.

Cowes came close to taking the lead when Craig Insley headed a Gareth Bricknell free kick over the bar.

A low shot from an acute angle by Mark Taylor across the face of the goal was turned away by Ed Hatt.

Aiden Sainsbury was replaced by Oliver Wilson on 75 minutes but within 3 minutes he was shown a red card for a dangerous tackle. Cowes took off Jimmy Wykes to be replaced by George Turner. Shortly after Cowes took the lead when Connor Furmidge blasted in from about 15 yards.

Newport’s final substitution saw Charlie Urry replaced by Alex Harmer.

Newport were reduced to nine men when Scott Sampson appeared to throw an elbow and was shown a red card. Jared Wetherick was shown a yellow card for kickng the ball away.

Four minutes into stoppage time Cowes made the match safe by scoring a second goal. A shot from Darren Williams struck the post and John McKie following up headed in the rebound.

Throughout the match the Newport defence had appeared strong but all to often midfield were chasing a long high ball out of defence .

Final Score: Cowes Sports 2 Newport 0

Cowes: Ed Hatt, Max Draper, Ewan Cranwell, Aidan Bryan, Craig Insley, Tom Dye (Connor Furmidge), Jimmy Wykes (George Turner) Jason Malcolmson, Darren Williams, John McKie, Gareth Bricknell

Newport: Andy Payne, Martin McDonough, Will Quigley, Spike Pearce, Aiden Sainsbury (Oliver Wilson), Scott Sampson, Mark Taylor, Jake Ballentyne, Charlie Urry (Alex Harmer), Josh Younie, Emerson Tattersall (Jared Wetherick).

Referee: Lee Nowacki

Attendance 260