Newport 0 AFC Portchester 7

The rain that fell all afternoon finally ceased prior to kick off. Newport made three changes from the side that started at Brockenhurst on Saturday.

Newport kicked off attacking the Shide end but found themselves a goal down inside a minute. Instead of being cleared, the ball was allowed to run loose along the edge of the penalty area and a 20yard shot from Bobby Scott flew over Will O’Connell and into the roof of the net.
The first yellow card came after only 11 minutes when Josh Warren brought down Charlie Urry. Newport began to attack more as the game progressed and Emerson Tattersell twice had good chances as Newport began to look the better side.
Portchester increased their lead on 25 minutes when a free kick near the right touchline by Joe Bye eluded everybody and crept in by the far post.
Aiden Sainsbury was shown a yellow card for a foul tackle. The second goal seemed to deflate Newport as Portchester began to have more of the game and finished the half looking the stronger side.

Half Time: Newport 0 Portchester 2

Portchester started the second half strongly with Will O’Carroll producing a good save to deny Bobby Scott in the first minute. From the resultant corner the ball bounced on to a post before being cleared.

On 52 minutes Bobby Scott outpaced the Newport defence and slotted the ball past Will O’Carroll for Portchester’s third. The fourth goal on 58 minutes was a 20 yard low shot by Steve Ramsey that appeared to take a deflection and effectively took the match beyond Newport. Emerson Tattersell was shown a yellow card for a tackle on Robert Evans and was immediately substituted by Kyle Drew.

Both teams made substitutions on 67 minutes, Newport brought on Tony Potts for Alex Harmer and Portchester replaced Jake Morgan with Andrew Todd.
When the match restarted only a timely tackle by Jacob Reynolds prevented Portchester from having a clear shot at goal. Portchester made another substitution with George Wells coming on for Dale Mason

Portchester’s fifth goal came from a corner that was headed in by Andrew Todd.

Darren Powell replaced Lewis Wright for the final ten minutes with Portchester bringing on Harry Birmingham for Josh Warren.
The sixth goal on 86 minutes came from a free kick near the touchline. The ball looked like it was going out of play but Andrew Todd ran round the blind side and scrambled it into the net
Newport’s misery was compounded with the seventh goal on 90 minutes scored by George Wells with 20 yard drive.
This was the first time that Newport had conceded seven goals in the Wessex League and their heaviest defeat since they lost 8-1 at Godalming in March 2008.

Final Score Newport 0 Portchester 7

Newport; Will O’Carroll , Will Quigley, Jacob Reynolds, Aiden Sainsbury, Martin Mcdonough, Spike Pearce, Alex Harmer (Tony Potts), Lewis Wright (Darren Powell), Charlie Urry, Emerson Tattersall (Kyle Drew), Matt Gane.

Referee: Andrew Dunn Attendance 94