The Port win 2:1 to progress in the FA Vase

Newport progressed to the next round of the F.A.Vase this afternoon by coming from behind to beat fellow Wessex League side Alresford Town, in a keenly contested match at St George’s Park.

Newport kicked off attacking the allotment end. There was an early yellow card for Spike Pearce for a foul on Geoff Dunn.
Alresford looked the stronger team from the start and at one time only a last minute intervention from Mark Taylor stopped a clear run at goal
Alresford took the lead on 22 minutes when Steve Hall intercepted a bad cross field pass and was able to run goalwards before firing in a 20 yard shot that looked innocuous but rolled into the corner of the net

Newport gradually got back into the match and on 34 minutes a 25 yard goal bound free kick from Connor Kelly took a deflection for a corner. From the corner the ball broke to Mark Taylor on the edge of the penalty area whose fiercely driven shot was fumbled by Daniel Kempson before being scrambled clear.

Just prior to the interval Jacob Reynolds was booked for shirtpulling Geoff Dunn as he raced towards goal.

Newport continued to struggle against a well organised Alresford defence.

Half Time Newport 0 Alresford 1

Newport made a half time substitution in defence bringing on Keelan Walsh in place of Jacob Reynolds. In less than a minute Newport had equalised. Connor Kelly outpaced the defence on the left and his cross found Darren Powell. Although his header was cleared off the line Scott Sampson reacted first to the loose ball and headed it into the net.

Alresford should have taken the lead on 57 minutes when following a break down the right Steve Hall managed to shoot over the bar from six yards out.
Newport’s second goal on 62 minutes also originated from a break by Connor Kelly. This time it was met by Jared Wetherick, who bundled it into the net.

Newport were looking the better team now keeping Alresford penned in their own half

Alresford made a substitution bringing on Chigozie Agweugbo for Geoff Dunn.

Both teams made substitutions with fifteen minutes remaining. Newport replaced Jared Wetherick with Lewis Wright and Alresford replaced John Cole with Harry Bayles. The final fifteen minutes were frantic as Alresford pressed for an equaliser and from a corner Gary Streeter tipped a header over the bar.

Newport attacked as well, as play became end to end and from a corner the ball was headed clear to Will Quigley who fired in a thirty yard shot from near the touchline that Daniel Kempson did well to catch just under the corner of the cross bar.

Newport desperately defended as there was four minutes stoppage time played but managed to hold on.



Gary Streeter​
Will Quigley​
Jacob Reynolds (Keelan Walsh)​
Spike Pearce​
Martin McDonough​
Scott Sampson​
Darren Powell​
Mark Taylor​
Charlie Urry​
Jared Wetherick (Lewis Wright)​
Connor Kelly​

Referee:Alex Mathieson​

Attendance 100

The next round of the Vase is scheduled for October 21st

Newport A drew 3-3 with AFC Wootton in Island division 2