The Port concede four to Baffins

Newport slumped to a 4-0 home defeat against a Baffins Milton Rovers side making their first visit to St George’s Park. Newport made several changes from the side that started against AFC Bournemouth in midweek.

By mid afternoon when Newport kicked off attacking the Allotment end the morning rain had yielded to afternoon sun.

Newport created an opportunity in the first five minutes when Connor Kelly broke down the left and slipped the ball into the path of Mark Taylor but Tony Male was able to smother the ball before he had the chance to shoot.

For Baffins, Calvin Moses displayed some nimble footwork to jinx through the Newport defence but his final shot was over the bar from close range.

Baffins took the lead on 23 minutes. A cross from the right was not cleared by the Newport defence, instead the ball was set up for Joel Jackson to volley into the net from about 12 yards.

Newport had the chance to equalise on the half hour when Tony Male failed to gather a low cross and as the ball run loose, Connor Kelly who reacted quickest, could only turn the ball against the post from an acute angle, before it was scrambled clear.

Shane Cornish was the first to be booked on 36 minutes for upending Charlie Urry then shortly afterwards Calvin Moses joined him for pushing Martin McDonough.

Newport had started well but Baffins were beginning to look the more dangerous side.

Half Time Newport 0 Baffins Milton Rovers 1

Baffins started brightly and a 20 yard drive from Callum Dart was tipped over the bar by Gary Streeter who then saved a shot from point blank range by Chaz Gardner in the opening minutes of the half.

Newport made two substitutions in quick succession. Firstly Darren Powell gave way to Josh Younie then Jared Wetherick was replaced by Emerson Tattersall.

On 68 minutes a low driven free kick from about 20 yards by Aidan Sainsbury eluded everybody and narrowly missed the post as Tony Male could only stand and watch.

Baffins extended their lead on 73 minutes when a clearance struck Joel Jackson and he had time to turn and blast the ball past Gary Streeter. Two minutes later Blu Boam scored a third with a 20 yard drive from outside the penalty area. These two goals ensured Baffins secured the points as the game meandered to a conclusion.

Newport came close to scoring when the ball broke to Emerson Tattersall in the penalty area but his shot rattled the crossbar. Newport then made their final substitution when Lewis Wright came on for Mark Taylor.
The fourth goal came on 86 minutes when the ball broke to Lewis Stockford and he curled a 20 yard shot into the corner of the net.

Newport’s second half performance was clearly at a slower tempo than recent matches however a four goal victory flattered Baffins Milton Rovers.



Gary Streeter​
Scott Sampson​
Will Quigley​
Aidan Sainsury​
Martin McDonough​
Spike Pearce​
Darren Powell​(Josh Younie)​
Mark Taylor (Lewis Wright)​
Charlie Urry​
Jared Wetherick (Emerson Tattersall)
Connor Kelly​

Referee: Paula Wyatt​ Attendance 118

The A team were beaten 3-1 at Nine Acres by local rivals Pan Sports in Island League Div 2