Port through to last 8 in League Cup

Newport revenged their four goal home defeat by Baffins last month by producing an excellent performance to win 2-0 in the Wessex League Cup. It was a good home start for the new managerial team of Mike Kelly and Andrew Rimmer.

Newport kicked off attacking the allotment end. Within a minute Baffins had a free kick on the edge of the penalty area but George Thomas kick was wide of the post.
Newport looked the better team in the first half, having more possession and troubling the defence with some penetrating runs. A superbly floated free kick from Jared Wetherick on the right found Giancarlo Giancovich running into space at the far post but he was unable to get his shot on target. Then on 24 minutes, a free kick from the right found Charlie Urry, whose goalbound volley took a wicked deflection off Sam Willett before being scrambled away.

The half finished goalless but Gary Streeter had yet to be tested as Baffins struggled against a well organised Newport defence.


Newport took the lead in 49 minutes following a surging run from Tom McInnes into the penalty area. Although he was thwarted, the ball broke to Emerson Tattersall whose drive was only parried by Tom Boyle and he reacted first to bundle in the rebound.
On 61 minutes Emerson Tattersall was upended just outside the penalty area so took the free kick himself, which cannoned off the post.

With ten minutes remaining Newport made their first substitution bringing off Emerson Tattersall to give a home debut to George Holmes.

Baffins were beginning to look more threatening as the minutes ebbed away but their hopes of an equaliser were diminished on 84 minutes when they were reduced to ten men; George Thomas being shown a second yellow card for a foul tackle.

A through ball from the left found Tom McInnes unmarked about 30 yards from goal and he was able to run at Tom Boyle before slotting the ball past him and into the net to make the match safe with three minutes remaining. For the final minute Alex Harmer came on instead of Charlie Urry.

A greatly improved performance from Newport, as they join Andover New Street in the quarter finals of the competition.


Newport: Streeter, Walsh, Turkington, Pearce, Wetherick, Giancovich, Wright, Powell, Urry (Harmer), Tattersall (Holmes), McInnes.

Baffins M R: Boyle, Willett, Williams, Saunders, Seibou, Cornish, White, Thomas, Boam, Jackson, Davies.

Regeree: Graham Matthews

Attendance 58