Newport 5-0 Bovey Tracey

Newport progressed to the second round of the F.A.Vase with a comfortable 5-0 victory against Bovey Tracey from the South West Peninsula League Div 1 East.
There was a strong wind throughout the match blowing towards the Allotment end with squally showers interspersed with sunny periods.

The visitors kicked off attacking the Shide end. After dominating possession in the opening five minutes Newport took the lead when Charlie Urry drove in a low shot from 20 yards out.
Bovey Tracey’s first serious attack on fourteen minutes produced three good saves from Gary Streeter, firstly blocking a shot from Shane Gill, then charging down the rebound from Joe Bushin and finally pushing the ball away for a corner at the near post.

Newport extended their lead on 20 minutes with a move that started in defence. The ball was worked down the right and Charlie Urry’s low cross found Emerson Tattersall unmarked on the penalty spot who was able to guide it past Mark Bojar.

The third goal came on 31 minutes when the ball was slipped through the Bovey Tracey defence into the path of Connor Kelly who drove it into the net.

Five minutes later Mark Bojar did well to push a long range shot from Connor Kelly over the bar. Just prior to half time Bovey Tracey had two good chances. Firstly a low cross eluded everybody and found Joe Bushin at the far post but he could only knock the ball into Gary Streeter’s hands from close range then a 25 yard free kick from Dean Stevens was blocked by Gary Streeter.


In the second half Bovey Tracey with the wind in their favour had more possession but were restricted to long range shots by a well organised Newport defence. Their best chance came when a free kick from Dean Stevens was knocked onto the bar by Gary Streeter before being scrambled away.

Newport’s fourth goal on 83 minutes came from a cross from Connor Kelly which again found Charlie Urry unmarked in the penalty area for a simple tap in. Charlie Urry was then substituted to give a debut to new signing Aurele Beya. He quickly endeared himself to the home supporters by racing on to a through ball and rounding Mark Bojar before running the ball into an empty net, having been on the pitch only four minutes.

A well deserved win for Newport who now join nine other Wessex League clubs in Mondays draw.


Newport: Streeter, Walsh, Taylor, Sainsbury, Wetherick, Pearce, Wright (Holmes), Sampson (Powell), Urry (Beya), Kelly, Tattersall

Bovey Tracey: Bojar, Tucker (Taylor), Buckmaster, Leach, Head, Gill, Stevens, Fice (Churchill), Livingston, Bushin, Collins.

Referee  Michael Ballard                    Attendance 110

Newport Reserves were defeated 7-2 by the Sholing development team today in the Wyvern Combination. On Monday evening they are at home to W&B Sports in the Isle of Wight Challenge Cup, 7.30pm kick off.