Newport Vase run continues.

Despite heavy overnight rain the pitch was playable as Hengrove made their first visit to St Georges Park for the F.A.Vase 2nd Round. Newport made two changes from the side that lost to Alresford last week. Keelan Welsh came in for Jacob Reynolds and Josh Younie returned to replace Spike Pearce who was suspended.
As the rain eased, Newport kicked off attacking the allotment end and in the opening minute, Emerson Tattersall produced a good save from Aaron Greatbanks who palmed the ball away low by the post. Newport took the lead on four minutes through Scott Sampson who from 10 yards out headed in a Josh Younie free kick.

Emerson Tattersall took advantage of a defensive mix up to have a clear run at goal but his low shot was blocked by Aaron Greatbanks.

Hengrove had a great chance to equalise on 21 minutes but from close range Lewis Dunn headed over the bar. Newport counterattacked but Mark Taylor’s shot was pushed onto the post by Aaron Greatbanks. The ball was eventually cleared to the right wing but was played back in and with the Hengrove defence racing out, Scott Sampson was left unmarked in front of goal to head in Newport’s second.

Gary Streeter produced a good save tipping over the bar a header from Ben Crewe. The ball was played out to the left and Josh Younie then managed to keep it in play before laying it off to Emerson Tattersall who curled a 25 yard shot into the corner of the net leaving Aaron Greatbanks motionless.
Newport had most of the possession in the first half and deserved their three goal lead.

Half Time Newport 3 Hengrove Athletic 0

Newport started the second half by scoring in the opening minute when Josh Younie played a ball in from the byline and Emerson Tattersall slotted the ball past the keeper. Four minutes later and Newport had a fifth when Aaron Greatbanks was unable to hold a 20 yard curling shot from Mark Taylor.

On 57 minutes Newport made a double substitution bringing on Darren Powell and Lewis Wright for Scott Sampson and Keelan Walsh. Hengrove then responded by introducing James Boyle and Rhys Hickory in place of Craig White and Billy Vaughan.

Newport’s sixth goal on 66 minutes came when Emerson Tattersall raced to the by line before squaring the ball back to Charlie Urry who drove the ball past Aaron Greatbanks. Immediately Newport made their final substitution as Martin McDonough returned from injury to replace Jared Wetherick. Hengrove brought on Giorgio Mancini instead of Scott Lewis.

Hengrove pulled a goal back on 77 minutes. Gary Streeter pushed the ball on to the crossbar and in the melee following the rebound Jack Fillingham laying on the goal line scrambled the ball into the net. Their second goal in the final minute came when Jack Fillingham drove in a shot that Gary Streeter blocked with his feet but the ball rebounded back to Jack Fillingham whose second shot deflected off of Darren Powell’s head and completely wrong footed Gary Streeter.

An excellent performance from Newport and Monday’s third round draw is eagerly anticipated

Final Score Newport 6 Hengrove Athletic 2

Newport: Streeter, Quigley, Walsh (Wright), Sainsbury, Wetherick (McDonough), Sampson (Powell), Younie, Taylor, Urry, Kelly, Tattersall.
Hengrove Athletic: Greatbanks, Luke Crewe, Fear, Lewis (Mancini), Brimble, White (Boyle), Parsons, Dunn, Ben Crewe, Fillingham, Vaughan (Hickory).

Referee: Dan Austin

Attendance : 122