Newport 0 Blackfield & Langley 0

Newport moved off the bottom of the table with a point gained by a battling team performance playing with 10 men for over 70 minutes.

Mike Kelly had to reorganise his defence from Saturday’s match as Will Quigley, Jared Wetherick and Keelan Walsh were not available for selection. In came Liam Newbold on his return to the club, Spike Pearce back from suspension and Jacob Reynolds at left back.

The match had a lively start as Aiden Sainsbury received a yellow card in the 2nd minute for a strong challenge in midfield. Shortly afterwards Blackfield should have taken an early lead as Plummer broke down the right wing sending in a cross that the unmarked Robinson headed wide. An early warning for the Port.

On 19 minutes an aerial clash left a Blackfield player down followed by a melee of pushing and shoving players. This resulted in a yellow card for Blackfield’s Connor Doe and a second yellow and sending off for Aiden Sainsbury.

The reduction to 10 men did not stop Newport pushing forward and a great run down the left wing by Tattersall fed Mark Taylor on the edge of the penalty area and his stinging shot was deflected away for a corner.
The Watersiders then had a good spell of play as they sought to open the scoring. Liam Robinson had two great chances on the break, one stopped by a timely interception tackle from Jacob Reynolds and the other resulting in a shot straight at Streeter.
Pressing forward down the left hand side a shot from Ryan Oatley outside the box hit the Newport upright and Plummer was the first to the rebound but hooked his shot over the bar.
Just before half time Emerson Tattersall pulled up with an injury and was replaced by Lewis Wright.

Half Time : Newport 0 Blackfield & Langley 0

The second half started with Newport on the attack and Lewis Wright feeding a 30 yard crossfield pass to Josh Younie who cut inside a defender and unleashed a curling shot that narrowly went the wrong side of the post.
Newport continued to get men forward and Mark Taylor shot narrowly over the bar from 25 yards out.
Blackfield brought on new signing Sami Makhloufi for Connor Hoare as they went in search of a winner.
Chances became fewer and far between as the game became concentrated in midfield with referee Dolbear dishing out a rash of yellow cards for Newport’s Newbold, Sampson and Wright and Blackfield’s Poole. The Watersiders goal efforts were now restricted to shots from outside the box but they were either off target or Streeter was well placed to collect.
Blackfield & Langley brought on Joe Butcher for Lerone Plummer but the former Newport man didn’t have much time to make an impact.
The final chance went to Newport’s Connor Kelly on the break but his shot was wide of the target.

Mike Kelly will be pleased to have got his first league point after several cup wins which moved the Port off the bottom of the table on goal average. Newport now head into a series of matches against teams in a similar league position as themselves starting with Petersfield on Saturday.

Full Time: Newport 0 Blackfield 0

Newport: Streeter, Newbold, Reynolds (Powell), Sainsbury, Pearce, Sampson, Josh Younie, Taylor, Urry, Kelly, Tattersall (Wright).

Blackfield & Langley: Snelling, Costello, Oatley, Byrne, Poole, Hoare (Mahkloufi), Robinson, Clarke, Plummer (Butcher), Doe, Griffin.

Referee: Jon Dolbear

Attendance 88