Christchurch 0 Newport 1

Newport fought their way into the last 32 of the FA Vase with a determined performance to keep out favourites Christchurch, after The Port had snatched an early lead.
Forced into a number of changes due to unavailability or illness, Mike Kelly brought in under 18’s Lewis Wright, Jack Turkington and George Holmes, all of whom were to figure in the match.
Newport won the toss of the coin allowing them to play uphill first half but crucially downhill in the second.

Christchurch came out of the blocks at full pelt immediately putting the Port under sustained pressure but Newport were to score with almost their first chance in the 6th minute. Charlie Urry and Connor Kelly had worked the ball into the box from the left hand side and the ball broke to the incoming Aurele Beya who struck a cool finish with the outside of his boot into the corner of the net.

This of course caused Christchurch to push even further forward and Newport were put under sustained pressure again but this was Gary Streeter’s match. The big keeper likes a big game and once again was outstanding. Catching under pressure, I lost count of the number of times he claimed the ball as Christchurch threw the kitchen sink at him.

At the other end any time Newport got forward they were on the end of some hefty challenges and although fouls were given and words exchanged no cards were issued. One of these challenges occurred at the end of the half and ended Mark Taylor’s involvement in the match.

Half Time: Christchurch 0 Newport 1

Newport brought on George Holmes for Mark Taylor and took up the same right wing position.
The second half was more or less the same as the first although Newport had more of the ball kicking downhill.
As Christchurch pushed more and more players forward, gaps began to open at the back and a quick break down the right hand side saw George Holmes break into the box but a Christchurch defender just delayed him pulling the trigger.
A nervy final twenty minutes once again saw Gary Streeter dominant in the Newport box but by then Christchurch were a spent force. The strikers started to show their tiredness and some of the shooting was high and wide.

All in all a great cup tie, a great day out with plenty of singing on the short coach journey back.

4th round draw on Monday at 1.00pm.

Christchurch 0 Newport 1

Newport: Streeter, Turkington, Quigley, Powell, Wetherick, Pearce, Taylor (Holmes), Beya, Urry, Kelly, Wright Other Subs: O’Carroll, McDonough

Christchurch: Tewkesbury, Wright, Jackson, Senior, Douglas, Legg, Cooper, Blake, Satterly, Wilcock, King.

Referee: Alex Fisher

Attendance: 92 (approx 30 Newport)

Click on the football highlights section on the homepage to watch full coverage of Newport’s victory over Christchurch FC in the Buildbase FA Vase 3rd round.