Newport 3 Hamble Club 2

Newport continued their good recent form with an excellent win against ninth placed Hamble Club at St. George’s Park on Saturday.
Mike Kelly made five changes from the side that started last Saturday at Christchurch, bringing in Liam Newbold and Liam Triggs alongside last weeks unavailable players Scott Sampson, Aiden Sainsbury and Josh Younie.

There was an early scare for the Port in the 2nd minute when Mo Nyang backheeled a shot in the penalty area and Gary Streeter had to get down smartly to save.

The game was very open with both sides having a share of the play but Newport were the first to break the deadlock on 12 minutes. Charlie Urry did well down the left side working enough space to get a shot in. Hamble keeper Anderson was able to block it but the ball fell straight into the path of Connor Kelly who tucked it away with ease.

The game continued to be played openly with both sides keen to get the ball forward, Hamble probably having the better of the chances. On 31 minutes their work was rewarded when River Smith made space for himself in the penalty area and placed a shot just inside the post.

Newport had a good chance towards the end of the half as an interchange of passes allowed Josh Younie to run at the defence but his shot was straight at keeper Anderson.

Half Time: Newport 1 Hamble Club 1

The second half continued in much the same vein with both sides trying to play open attacking football and on 58 minutes Newport were to score again, in much the same way as their first goal. Charlie Urry doing great work down the left hand side and squaring the ball to Josh Younie who dummied the last defender and shot across goal, the ball just going in clipping the inside of the post.

Inside five minutes Newport scored again when Charlie Urry capped a fine personal performance with the goal of the match. Once again picking the ball up on the left side he cut in and from 20 yards unleashed an unstoppable shot into the corner of the net.

Newport continued to press forward and Aiden Sainsbury from distance shot against the corner of the goalframe.

On 73 minutes Hamble Club pulled a goal back when a defensive backheader was under strength and Doug Rowe got to the ball first and shot past Streeter.

Newport continued to press forward and in the space of 5 seconds had two shots cleared off the line one by the keeper and one by a defender although some Newport players and supporters behind the goal felt the second effort was over the line.

In injury time Newport gave away a free kick just outside their own penalty area. This led to a nervy finish although the resulting free kick was not a good effort and flew well over the crossbar.

Charlie Urry was named Newport’s Man of the match after scoring his sixth goal in the last seven matches.

Full Time: Newport 3 Hamble Club 2

Newport: Streeter, Newbold, Triggs, Sainsbury, Wetherick, Pearce, Powell, Sampson, Urry, Kelly, Younie.
Unused Subs: Holmes, Walsh, McDonough, Beya.

Hamble Club: Anderson, Bull, Nyang (Blake), Wagstaffe, Byrne, McCarthy, McLean (Rowe), Kempler (Magookin), Lynch, Smith, Cox.

Referee: Brian White

Attendance 119