Newport 3 Bashley 1

Newport returned to winning ways with a determined win over a keen but short handed Bashley who started the match with 10 men after two players had missed the ferry.
In the Newport dugout was Derek Ohren who has taken over until the end of the season following Mike Kelly’s resignation.

Newport saw the return of Spike Pearce, Liam Triggs, Jack Turkington and Tony Potts, whilst Mark Taylor was suspended and Liam Newbold was ill.

The opening stages were fairly even but the Port had a big shout for a penalty in the 10th minute when Charlie Urry was upended in the box. No decision was given and Spike Pearce was booked for arguing. Bashley then had a good spell of pressure with shots across the face of goal and narrowly over the crossbar.
On 22 minutes Charlie Urry was booked for punching the ball after he had been caught offside. Two minutes later Charlie Urry was on the scoresheet. The striker scoring from 5 yards after Radfords effort was blocked.
Newport pressed forward with two long range efforts from Liam Triggs narrowly going the wrong side of the post. On 36 minutes Newport increased their lead as Connor Kelly struck a sweet shot from just outside the penalty area which gave the keeper no chance.
Two minutes later Kelly struck a free kick that the keeper blocked low down but nobody could take advantage of the rebound.

Half Time: Newport 2 Bashley 0

Bashley came out looking more determined and had several chances but all went over the bar. Newport had chances with Urry and Radford both being stopped by the keeper.
On 57 minutes Bashley pulled a goal back. Harrison White received the ball just inside the Newport half and was not closed down. He was allowed to run to the edge of the box and unleash a fierce low drive past Gary Streeter.
Aiden Radford was booked for a rash challenge and was substituted shortly after, George Holmes coming on as replacement.
The game had opened up by now and both sides were creating opportunities, Kelly, Wetherick and Urry all having good chances for the Port but were unable to beat the keeper.
With 15 minutes remaining, Neo Lamb came on as substitute for Tony Potts who had worked hard all evening.
On 86 minutes Charlie Butt came on for Charlie Urry who looked as though he had tweaked either a hamstring or calf muscle.
In the 2nd minute of injury time Newport were able to seal the win with a goal from Jared Wetherick. Conner Kelly did well to get the ball into the big striker whose shot took a wicked deflection off the keeper and spun away from the defender standing on the line.

full Time: Newport 3 Bashley 1

Newport: Streeter, Pearce, Triggs, Charlesworth, Turkington, McDonough, Radford (Holmes), Wetherick, Urry (Charlie Butt), Kelly, Potts (Lamb). Unused sub: James Butt

Attendance: 78

Referee: Kasimir Petrov

Please note Thursday’s match against Fareham Town kicks off at 8pm