Newport 0 Hythe & Dibden 2

Port made four changes to the starting line-up that had impressively beaten East Cowes Vics in the Gold Cup semi-final a week ago:

Joe McCormack replacing Gary Streeter in goal, Caleb Charlesworth taking the place of Jake Younie in central defence, Scott Sampson returning to replace Scott Barron in central defence and Jared Cousins starting instead of Mark Taylor. Opponents, Hythe and Dibden, featured former Norwegian international and Saints player, 47-year-old Jo Tessem, in their starting line-up.

Port began brightly against their third-placed opponents, with Jordan Browne shooting powerfully past the post in the second minute of the game. The first half was good, evenly-matched, open contest. In the tenth minute, Hythe’s Sam Woodward shot across the face of the goal. In the 21st minute, Connor Kelly shot across the Hythe goal from a well-placed position. Then, in the 29th minute, Jacob Reynolds was forced to head the ball off the line for Port. In the 32nd minute, Joe Craig had a shot fisted over the bar by Hythe man-mountain keeper, Ellis Grant. However, it was Hythe who were to reach half-time with a 0–1 advantage, when Wayne O’DELL headed in a corner.

Half-time: Newport IW 0–1 Hythe and Dibden

The away side began to show their class and experience after the break, having the lions share of the chances. In the 58th minute, Joe McCormack was forced to parry the ball for a corner. Port attempted to hit back, with Joe Craig shooting just over the crossbar in the 66th minute. However, Hythe made the game safe for themselves in the 75th minute, when Ben NGWA scored from close-range after a defensive mix-up in the Port penalty area.
The score could have been worse for the home side, after Sam Woodward broke through for Hythe in the 78th minute, but could not control the ball well enough to score.

Final score: Newport IW 0–2 Hythe and Dibden

Newport: McCormack, Reynolds (Barron 67), Lamb, Charlesworth, McDonagh (Snow 76), Sampson, Kelly, Craig, Cousins, Browne, Wright Subs not used: Yates, Powell, Barron

Referee: Harry Redman

Attendance: 63

Newport Man-of-the-match: Scott Sampson