Romsey Town 5 Newport 2

Newport suffered a disappointing defeat away to Romsey on Saturday after conceding three early goals at the Bypass ground.
No Mark Taylor due to an accumulation of yellow cards or Jordan Brown for the final game of his suspension, back from absences were Joe Craig and Scott Sampson although both were kept on the sub benches.
The match was to be played in a blistering temperature on a hot sunny afternoon.

Romsey kicked off and were ahead inside 15 seconds. They simply played the ball tight and quickly through the middle of the park and Liam Magee slotted it past Gary Streeter.

The goal certainly woke Newport up and Newport went on the offensive, Jacob Reynolds shooting over the bar. Romsey were however very keen to get the ball forward and put the Newport defence under pressure.

Even though a goal behind, Newport had a fair share of the play for a quarter of an hour but on 21 minutes things were to change dramatically. Louie Morais wide out on the right touchline hit a high shot from all of 35 yards that flew in over Gary Streeter’s head, possibly coming out of the sun unsighting the keeper. Within a couple of minutes Magee was put through one on one with Streeter and scored again to make it 3-0 after just 23 minutes.

Two minutes later Connor Kelly pulled a goal back after twisting and turning to get a shooting position in the Romsey box.

Shortly afterwards everyone took a drinks break and Newport made a substitution, Joe Craig coming on for Ryan Hughes who appeared to have turned an ankle.

After the drinks break things settled down a little although Romsey hit the underside of the bar from close in and the ball bounced down and away to safety. The second goal that Newport urgently needed didn’t come and Romsey saw the half out without too much danger.

HT: Romsey Town 3 Newport 1

The second half continued very much in the vein the first had ended with Romsey comfortably in control but on the hour the game was ended as a competition when the referee awarded a contraversial penalty to Romsey. A Newport defender swung at a ball, a Romsey striker went over but there appeared no contact, even to the Romsey supporter stood alongside me.
Liam Magee slotted home the penalty to complete his hat trick.

At this point Andy Sampson took off Jacob Reynolds and brought on Scott Sampson to play up front.

On 67 minutes Harry Draycott completed a flowing move to put Romsey 5-1 up.

George Holmes came on for Connor Kelly up front. Scott Sampson received a yellow card for an aerial clash that left the Romsey centre half receiving treatment. On 79 minutes Newport pulled a goal back when Lewis Wright dribbled into the box, lifted the ball over the keeper and Scott Sampson was on hand to force the ball home.

At 5-2 Romsey were content to see the time out and take the points from a result that will hopefully get their season moving forward.

FT: Romsey Town 5 Newport 2

Newport : Streeter, Hughes (Craig), Lamb,Barron, McDonough, Pearce, Kelly (Holmes), L Wright, Triggs, J Wright, Reynolds (Sampson).

Referee: J Foster

Attendance 90