Cowes Sports 3 Newport 2

Newport crashed out of the Sydenhams League Cup on Wednesday night, at the hands of local rivals Cowes Sports, in an incident packed match.

Andy Sampson was forced into formation changes as the Port went into the match with only one available centre back due to suspensions, injuries and unavailability. He was able to field a strong attacking line up, however, with the inclusion of Charlie Urry alongside Jordan Browne and Connor Kelly.

Cowes started brightly with the first shot on goal but Gary Streeter was alert to make the save.

Newport took the lead not long after when Dom Sexton unfortunately sliced the ball over Ed Hatt, into his own net. It only took Cowes a couple of minutes to find an equaliser, a ball into the Newport box following a free kick, was put away by Jez Conway to make it 1-1.

Newport moved straight down the other end and a Charlie Urry effort is just tipped over the bar by Ed Hatt.

Referee Mr Pratt was dealing out yellow cards all round which would ultimately have a hand to play in events later in the game.

In pretty much end to end stuff, the best chance fell to Michael McEnery but the Cowes striker shot well over the bar. Just past the half hour mark and Charlie Urry was booked for dissent and sent to the sin bin.

Cowes probably finished the stronger of the two teams but the players went in at half time all square.

HT: Cowes Sports 1 Newport 1

Buoyed by their first half performance Cowes came out on the front foot and Gary Streeter was immediately called into action stopping a striker through on goal. Cowes then took the lead when Ashley Brett volleyed in from a corner.

Within five minutes Michael McEnery was issued with a second yellow and was sent off. Three minutes later Newport’s Ben Timbrell suffered the same fate as the game became 10 a side.

Andy Sampson brought on Joe Craig for Jake Wright as he sought to get his side back in the game.

Things then went from bad to worse as Mark Taylor received a second yellow card for a foul on Jimmy Wykes and the Port were reduced to 9 men.

With Cowes now looking in the ascendancy, Newport were forced back but nothing could stop a Jimmy Wykes screamer to put the home side 3-1 up, in the 78th minute.

Newport were to have one last hope as Neo Lamb pulled a goal back with three minutes on the clock, but it was too little too late as Cowes saw the time out to progress to the next round.

FT: Cowes Sports 3 Newport 2

Newport: Streeter, Hughes, Timbrell, J Wright (Craig), Pearce, Lamb, Kelly, L Wright, Urry, Browne, Taylor.

Referee: Mr Pratt

Attendance 228