Newport 6 Folland Sports 0

After a long series of postponements, Port get their push for promotion on track with a superb 6-0 home win against Follands Sports at Beatrice Avenue.

Port made two changes to the side that had lost 0-1 away at New Milton the previous Saturday, with Ben Gearing replacing the injured Gary Streeter in goal, and Joe Craig starting in place of Mark Taylor.

Port put the planemakers under pressure right from the start of a game in which they would have scored more than six were it not for the heroic efforts of Follands keeper, Ash Downs. Port’s best chance in the opening period came in the 15th minute, when a George Colson free kick was parried by Downs in the Folland’s goal, falling to Jordan Browne, who missed an open goal. Port then converted pressure and possession into a goal, when a George Colson cross was met by a flying Jordan BROWNE header, to give Port a 1-0 advantage.

Port extended their lead in the 28th minute when Jared COUSINS scored from close range, with Jordan Browne being the provider. Port then had numerous opportunities to extend their 2-0 lead, all of which were blocked by the in form Folland’s keeper, who stopped a Ryan Hughes effort in the 31st minute, a magnificent header from Joe Craig in the 31st minute, a header from Jordan Browne in the 36th minute, a curling shot from Connor Kelly in the 42nd minute and a long shot by Jacob Reynolds in the 45th minute.

Half time: Newport IW 2-0 Follands Sports

The second half began with a rare attack by the Follands Sports, who had a shot rebound off the post in the 50th minute. However, the relentless Port pressure led to tempers getting frayed for the away side, with one of their players being sin binned. The pain for the planemakers was to get worse in the 60th minute, when flying winger Connor KELLY dispatched a magnificent long range effort into the bottom left corner of the away side’s net to give Port a 3-0 cushion. The referee evened things up by sending Scott Sampson to the sin bin for ten minutes.

In the 74th minute, the in form Kelly nearly added to his goal tally, when another of his long range efforts bounced off the crossbar. In the 82nd minute, Port went 4-0 up, after a Jordan BROWNE effort was deflected into the Follands goal. Joe CRAIG added a fifth for the home side in the 86th minute, poking the ball into the back of the net after a Connor Kelly effort was cleared off the line by a Folland’s defender. Finally, George COLSON, who had had a magnificent home debut for the Port, added a sixth from the penalty spot in the 89th minute.

Final score: Newport IW 6-0 Follands Sports

Newport: Gearing, Hughes, Reynolds (Lamb), Pearce, McDonough, Sampson, Kelly, Colson, Cousins (Taylor), Browne, Craig

Referee: R Walczak

Attendance 87

Photographs from the match can be seen on the Broonpics Sports Photography page on Facebook.


Newport Reserves progressed to the third round of the Hampshire FA Vase with a 4-3 win over Mayflower FC from Southampton. The goalscorers Newport were Zak Sullivan 2, Harry Cheek and Brad Thompson. The Reserves now have a home tie against Hook to be played on 7th December.