Whitchurch Utd 1 Newport 4

Newport pulled out another fine attacking performance at Longmeadow on Saturday to come away with all three points against high flying Whitchurch United.

Andy Sampson had to make a number of enforced changes with the unavailability of Scott Sampson, Charlie Urry and George Colson. Jacob Reynolds took over the defensive midfield role whilst Martin McDonagh dropped into the back line, Liam Triggs started in midfield and Jared Cousins returned from injury up front.

It didn’t take long for the Port to get in front when a Connor Kelly cross was met with a first time strike from Jared Cousins in the 9th minute.

After the goal, the match turned a little scrappy but Newport stayed on the front foot and continued to look dangerous. Connor Kelly had a great chance to make it 2-0 when through one on one with the home keeper but was unable to find the net.

The Port were punished in the 39th minute when Ryan Long pulled one back for the home side.

Once again it didn’t take long for the Port to get in front with Jacob Reynolds getting up in the six yard box to head home. With only 2 minutes left on the first half clock, the Port saw the time out to go in 2-1 up.

HT: Whitchurch Utd 1 Newport 2

If Newport had started the first half on fire , they turned the heat up even higher in the second half.

In the 46th minute, Liam Triggs picked the ball upin midfield and went on a mazy run, right through the Whitchurch defence and slotted home to give the Port a two goal cushion. Within seconds of the restart Connor Kelly had scored an absolute screamer from 25+ yards out. I will leave it to our mainland correspondent Mike Payne to describe; –

“The goal of this season, last season, and probably many season’s ahead!  Connor’s goal was what would now be described as a ‘Worldy’!  He was sort of in the inside-right position, but a bit wider perhaps, the ball came square to him and he hit a curling shot that flew into the far top corner.  It was magnificent!  ”

Thats 4-1 then and effectively game over.

Newport continued to dominate midfield with both Liam Triggs and Jacob Reynolds having excellent matches in their respective positions.

FT: Whitchurch United 1 Newport 4

Newport: Streeter, Hughes, Lamb, Pearce, McDonough,Reynolds (J Wright), Kelly, Triggs, Cousins, Browne, Taylor.

Referee: Mark Millard

Attendance: 47


Newport Reserves lost 4-0 away at runaway league leaders Oakfield. A tough match that saw the youngsters finish the game with 8 players after late withdrawals and injuries including Caleb Charlesworth going off with a head injury. The players that represented the Port in a difficult situation were a credit to the club.