Fawley AFC 2 Newport 4

Newport were forced into four changes from the side that beat East Cowes Vics on Tuesday night.

Scott Sampson and Mark Taylor could not travel due to work commitments, Neo Lamb picked up an injury in the Vics match and Spike Pearce was suspended. In came Scott Barron and Harris Yates into defence, Lewis Wright and Jake Wright in midfield. George Holmes returned from injury on the bench along with Bradley Thompson.

The game started at a lively pace with Fawley on the front foot. There was a lot of effort from both sides but the finishing touch was lacking. Fawley had the better chances and Gary Streeter was the busier of the two keepers. Fawley were having joy down the right hand side with the lively Tom Munday giving Harrison Yates a busy afternoon. Although the winger was able to deliver a number of balls across the box nobody seemed able to get on the end of them and the odd occasion they did the chance was put wide.

Newport chances were limited to set pieces as they struggled to get any fluency going forward. There was a brief scare as Connor Kelly had to leave the field for treatment but he was able to return and did not seem to have been affected.

Fawley had enjoyed the better of a half that lacked a little bit of quality. Andy Sampson went to the dressing rooms seemingly confident that the game was there to be won.

HT: Fawley AFC 0 Newport 0

Newport came out much brighter kicking down the slight slope and with the cold biting wind at their backs.

It didn’t take long for them to get in front. On 50 minutes a break put Fawley on the backfoot. Joe Craig ran at the defence and an overlapping Jacob Reynolds was shouting for the ball. He was given his chance and after one touch he unleashed an unstoppable shot into the back of the net. 1-0 to Newport.

Fawley were stung by the goal and were very quick to get back on the attack. Newport were only to hold on to their lead for five minutes as the Oilers got the ball to the byeline and squared it to Tom Munday to place it into the net. 1-1.

The game had come alive since the half time break and both sides were keen to get on with things but Newport were soon to seal the points.

On 61 minutes from a corner, Joe Craig received the ball on the left hand edge of the Fawley penalty area and shot through a crowd of players to put the Port back in front. (2-1 to Newport).

Just six minutes later Newport gained a corner which was met in the air by Jordan Browne. As his looping header appeared destined for the top corner, Fawley keeper Bruce clawed it back with one hand only for Scott Barron to head home the loose ball. Newport were now 3-1 to the good.

Newport were now on fire going forward. From almost the next attack the impressive Jacob Reynolds was bowled over after busting into the box with the ball and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. Connor Kelly stepped up to score from the penalty and put Newport 4-1 up.

Harrison Yates had a good second half, growing in confidence in the left back role. George Holmes came on to replace Jake Wright for his first start since returning from injury, but after taking a knock in the first tackle it was clear he was unable to continue and was himself replaced by Bradley Thompson.

Fawley would not go down without a fight and on 81 minutes an unmarked Tom Magee was to score from a free header. (4-2).

From that point Newport settled for seeing out time and gaining three more points.

FT: Fawley AFC 2 Newport 4

Newport: Streeter, Hughes, H Yates, Reynolds, McDonough, Barron, Kelly, L Wright, J Craig, J Browne, J Wright (Holmes)( Thompson).

Referee: Mr M  Bloor

Newport Reserves progressed in the IW Memorial Cup beating Osborne Coburg 6-2. The Port goalscorers were Reece Wren 2, Jayden Yates, Zak Sullivan, Flyn McCabe and an own goal.