Newport 5 Verwood Town 3

Newport 5-3 Verwood Town

The Port win an entertaining and high scoring game against opposition which, despite conceding five goals, never gave up.

Two weeks ago, Newport travelled to Dorset and, despite twice taking the lead, only managed to come away with a 2-2 draw. Five goals, however, proved too great a target for the Potters to match, although, to their credit, they made a game attempt to do so.

The Port made one change to starting line-up that had faced Calne Town in the FA Vase a week previously, with Josh Younie starting in place of Joe Butcher. Spike Pearce and Jacob Reynolds both returned from their respective suspensions and were named as substitutes.

The home side began the game strongly when Joe Craig sent a beautiful through ball to Josh YOUNIE, who dispatched a low shot past Verwood keeper, Tom Rose, from the right side of the penalty area after just six minutes.

However, the pattern of the previous fixture in Dorset was to continue on the Isle of Wight, with Verwood matching the Port goal-for-goal. Just four minutes later, largely against the run-of-play, an unmarked Matt VINING converted a low cross from five yards.

The Port were to restore their lead in the 14th minute when an Alek PRZEPOLEWSKI free kick on the edge of the Potter’s penalty area took a wicked deflection that wrong-footed Verwood keeper, Tom Rose.

Incredibly, the Potters continued to match the Port’s efforts and, sure enough, three minutes later, the Dorset side were themselves awarded a free kick on the edge of the Newport penalty area, in which a Diop EVANS strike took a deflection off the wall and past a despairing Gary Streeter.

The Port nearly took the lead in the 28th minute when Connor Kelly had a goal disallowed. However, there was no mistake when, in the 34th minute, Jordan BROWNE converted a cross from Connor Kelly from five yards out.

The Port then went into half time with a two-goal advantage when Connor KELLY pounced on a Jordan Browne rebound to head home from a couple of yards in front of the goal line.

Half-time: Newport 4-2 Verwood Town

The second half continued in much the same manner as the first: an open, entertaining game dominated by the home side in which the visitors always looked dangerous and capable of scoring themselves.

The Potters got back into the game in the 61st minute after an uncharacteristic blunder by Gary Streeter, who failed to hold a cross, leaving Harry ELSOM to divert the ball into the back of the net from the far post.

Three minutes later, Matt Vining forced a good save from Gary Streeter which, were it not for the veteran keeper’s agility, would have put the Potters on level terms.

The Port then had an opportunity to restore their two-goal advantage in the 73rd minute when Jordan Browne shot over the crossbar from ten yards.

It was Joe CRAIG who finally put the game beyond the reach of the visitors in the 84th minute with a five-yard strike after some good work in the build up from Jordan Browne.

Full time: Newport 5-3 Verwood Town

Newport: Streeter, Hughes, Lamb, Przepolewski (Pearce 80), McDonough, Barron, Kelly, Wright (Taylor 74), Younie (Butcher 68), Browne, Craig

Attendance: 116

Referee: Jordan McRitchie


Newport Reserves drew 2-2 with Fawley Reserves at Cowes Enterprise College. Having gone behind 2-0 in the first half, the second string once again showed great determination to fight back with two goals from substitute Keir Ramage. Former Newport striker Danny Gibbons played against the Port but could not get on the scoresheet.

Newport A team found the going tough away to Seaview where they went down 7-0. Most players are in their teens and this is their first season of mens football. They are learning all the while and we have seen how our reserves have improved once they become accustomed to adult football.