Ringwood Town 2 Newport 5

Newport travelled to Ringwood on a very wet Saturday afternoon, keen to continue with their fast paced attacking football and were not to be disappointed in the end.

The Ringwood pitch was in excellent condition with a good grass covering ensuring the game went ahead.

Newport fielded one change to the side that overcame East Cowes Vics on Tuesday, Joe Craig making way for Joe Butcher to return to the starting line up.

Newport pressed from the start, Josh Younie and Connor Kelly having early efforts not quite hitting the target. Ringwood had a couple of early chances from out wide as the ball skidded across the Newport goalmouth and when a corner flashed across the face of goal.

On 20 minutes the Port thought they had taken the lead when Jordan Browne’s diving header found the back of the net only for the assistant to raise his flag for what must have been a marginal offside.

The first goal was coming and on 27 minutes it was Jordan Browne who was to claim it. A big appeal went up for a penalty as the ball appeared to hit a defenders arm but play continued and the Port’s centre forward stole the ball and sidefooted it into the net.

The Port were on the rise now and only an excellent save by the home keeper stopped Browne adding to his total by palming over a header bound for the top corner. It was now wave after wave of Newport attack but the stubborn Ringwood defence were just managing to keep Newport at bay. A second Newport goal came just before half time, Joe Butcher receiving the ball on the edge of the box ran through and drove the ball into the net off the inside of the post.

HT: Ringwood Town 0 Newport 2

Newport continued the second half where they had left off and were attacking Ringwood at will. On 50 minutes it was 3-0 following an Alec Przepolewski free kick that crashed against the post, Scott Barron was there to knock in the rebound. Five minutes later the game appeared to be all but over as Joe Butcher received the ball on the edge of the box and drove it past the Ringwood keeper. Shortly after Joe Butcher was denied his hat trick with a good save by the under pressure home goalie.

Ryan Hughes took a knock to his back and was replaced by Spike Pearce.

As the game moved up to and past the 70 minute mark Ringwood Town had two chances which striker Ryan Hamm managed to put both away with aplomb. Suddenly at 4-2 Ringwood were back in the game when they had looked to be beaten and out. Andy Sampson took off Jake Wright and replaced him with Jacob Reynolds to give a more defensive formation.

Newport settled their nerves and started creating chances again Connor Kelly going close and Scott Barron bringing another good save out of the keeper. Finally in the 83rd minute Connor Kelly received the ball on the left hand edge of the box, cut in and drilled the ball across the keeper and into the back of the net. At 5-2 that was to be the end of the Ringwood revival as Newport saw time out to the final whistle.

Newport: Streeter, Hughes (Pearce), Lamb , Prezpolewski ,McDonough ,Barron , Kelly , Wright (Reynolds) ,Butcher , Browne , Younie.

Newport Reserves were also on the mainland travelling toTidworth to play Salisbury Development in the John Stimson Memorial Shield.

In a close game that was 0-0 at halftime their Premier League opponents proved stronger in the second half coming out 2-0 winners.