Petersfield Town 1 Newport 4

The Port produced another assured display on Saturday to beat Petersfield Town at Love Lane. The free scoring play of pre-season continued into their second league match and enabled the win that was harder than the scoreline might suggest.

The starting line up was the same as had been used at Smallbrook the previous week and Liam Harper was included on the subs bench following his spell of isolation last week.

The Port got off to a flyer from the kick off with chances falling in the first minute to both Jacob Reynolds and Connor Kelly but both efforts failed to find the back of the net. Petersfield were quick to recover from the opening affray and started to move the ball around themselves.

The breakthrough came just after the quarter hour mark as a superb cross from Aaron Burford to the back post found Jacob Reynolds with a firm header back across the keeper into the corner of the net. The Newport midfielder scoring in his second consecutive match. Newport continued on the offensive and Connor Kelly had a shot which home keeper Jackson could only keep out with his legs.

A drinks break allowed both teams to have a few words with their management and it was Petersfield who returned to the pitch the stronger. Bailey Newbury managed to steal the ball from a Newport defender and slotted it out of Streeters reach and into the net for an equaliser.

It wasn’t long before the Port regained their lead however when a slick move between Reynolds and Browne was turned into the net by Joe Craig. As the game approached half time Petersfield spurned a glorious opportunity to go in on equal terms when a low cross squirmed through the six yard box without anybody able to get a touch on it.

HT: Petersfield Town 1 Newport 2

Once again the Port were sharp out of the blocks coming from the dressing room and within two minutes had extended their lead. A Joe Butcher cross was perfectly directed to the head of Jordan Browne who made no mistake from inside the six yard box.

From this point the game opened up and chances went begging for both teams, for Newport both Jordan Browne and Connor Kelly had chances that went close. Gary Streeter reacted well to a Petersfield free kick that appeared to be heading  for the top corner but the big keeper showed his agility to push the ball away from danger.

Newport were now looking to manage the game and contain the Petersfield attack who were limited to shots from distance.

As the game moved into injury time Connor Kelly broke away with the ball and his low shot beat the keeper but hit the post only for the ball to fall to the onrushing Joe Craig who knocked it into the back of the empty net.

FT: Petersfield Town 1 Newport 4

Newport: Streeter, Younie (McArthur), Lamb (Barron), Burford, McDonagh, Pearce, Kelly, Reynolds, Browne, Craig, Butcher(Harper).