League: Friendly


Newport v Fleetlands

Newport went down 3-1 to a very good Fleetlands side at St. George’s Park on Saturday.

Former Gosport Borough player Danny Thompson has taken over at Fleetlands and fielded three of Borough’s former squad as well as others experienced at that level. Fleetlands look like a Wessex Premier side and will be high on the list of favourites for the Hampshire League title this season.

The match was played in a very competitive spirit with both sides wanted to finish the pre-season with a win.

There were plenty of chances in the first half both sides struggled to find the net and it looked like the half was going to be goalless.

Fleetlands however were to score three times inside 15 minutes, two goals coming immediately before half time as they pounced on some hesitant defending.

Half Time: Newport 0 Fleetlands 2

Fleetlands came out buoyed by their strong finish to the half and claimed a third shortly after the restart.

Newport pulled a goal back on 75 mins when in a goalmouth scramble the linesman adjudged the ball had crossed the goaline much to former Bognor keeper Tom Boyle’s annoyance and protestations.

Andy Sampson will be pleased with the sides final workout against such a strong side and although there are areas to work on, there are players still to come in to strengthen the squad.

Newport 1 Fleetlands 3


Newport v Brading Town

Newport welcomed back several old players in a strong Brading side for a pre-season friendly.
There are still a few Newport players unavailable as well as Manager Andy Sampson so Stuart Shepherd took over in the dugout.

The match was evenly contested, Newport taking the lead late in the first half with a Joe Craig header from a Kyle Drew cross.

HT: Newport 1-0 Brading

Both teams made a number of substitutions during the half and both teams also hit the woodwork. A decent Brading effort hit the crossbar and a strange Newport shot hit one post, span across the goalmouth before spinning past the other post for a goal kick.

Another useful workout for both sides with a youthful Newport side starting to look more fluent and growing in confidence.

FT: Newport 1-0 Brading


Newport v Lancing

On a very warm day a much changed Newport side conceded a goal in each half to record a second 2-0 defeat to Southern Combination sides.

Newport were without Scott Sampson, Ryan Hall and Craig Castle who all featured in the Thursday night match against Northwood.

The Port had the better of the early play and looked to have Lancing on the back foot with good chances for Joe Craig and Kyle Drew.

Lancing drew first blood on the half hour mark when Matt Daniel rounded Andy Payne and scored from an acute angle.

Within 5 minutes it was clear that Andy Payne had injured himself in attempting to stop the goal and had to undergo a long period of treatment.

Newport were able to hold on with their injured goalkeeper until half time.

Half Time : Newport 0 Lancing 1

The Newport faithful were buoyed by the appearance of Veteran keeper Gary Streeter who came on as a substitute for the injured Payne at the start of the second half.

Sadly there was nothing Streeter could do to stop Jack Rowe-Hurst doubling Lancing’s lead on 48 minutes.

Once again Andy Sampson rotated his squad introducing as many youngsters as possible.

The heat certainly slowed the game down although some tempers did overheat in the final few minutes which the referee handled well.

Full Time: Newport 0 Lancing 2